Thomson, McDuffie County, Georgia

Description

Thomson was founded in 1837 as a depot on the Georgia Railroad in Columbia County, Georgia. It’s original name was “slashes”, but it was renamed in 1853 for railroad official John Edgar Thomson and incorporated February 15, 1854 as a town and in 1870 as a city. It is part of the Augusta – Richmond County Metropolitan Statistical Area.